Tuesday, December 6, 2011

GI Problems

Trace has been experiencing what I'm going to call Super-Human Diarrhea since Thanksgiving.  I can't understand how someone so small could possibly produce so much poop??  I mean he's just not that big??  Everywhere he's been, it's been a mess.  Food is exiting the exact way it enters and pretty quickly.  Which tells me he isn't absorbing much from the food.  Throughout it he has been eating and drinking normally and has not run a fever, so I wasn't all that worried.  I always wait out everything until I know Trace HAS to go to the hospital.  But then Wednesday, despite no lack of fluids, he only uninated twice, 7:00 AM and 1:00 PM.  Trace normally has 10-15 wet diapers per day.  I waited until Thursday AM and no urine :-( So I packed up and headed to the ER with my Mister.  He ended up admitted for dehydration, not a surprise.  Poor baby was so dry he couldn't produce any tears when they were drawing labs & setting IV.  He was put on IV fluids and several cultures were grown.  They had Trace in isolation, he couldn't leave the room and everyone coming in had to wear the blue gowns and masks - poor people.  I really wish they wouldn't have put him on isolation because Child Life had therapy dogs come in, a movie in "the park", etc and he had to miss out on all the fun stuff.  The doctors suspected it could possibly be c diff.  However, the c diff culture was never grown.  That makes me so angry, it would just be inproper to put the words on paper.  I mean come on!  GI has ordered new labs which were delivered early this morning.  So we will see if anything comes of them.  On the positive side everything  done inpatient came back negative.  The pediatrics team we had inpatient chalked it up to viral gastroenteritis.  I hope they are right.  Honestly, with this diarrhea going on for so long a little part of me worries it could be a change in motility. We see GI again on December 13th - Trace's birthday - to discuss results.  I guess why not celebrate in the Med Center - it seems to be our second home and we can see some of the people who care so deeply for our Mister!  I can't believe my baby is going to be 4 years old - where has time gone??  We'll be celebrating this weekend at Chuck E. Cheese.  Trace loves it there, he could care less about the prizes, he just likes dropping the tokens in and pressing the buttons! 
Trace was so excited when Daddy arrived

Snuggling with Topper, the CMHH mascot
Trace has 3 and I hope we don't add any more to his collection 

Catching up on our Mickey Mouse Clubhouse



Hope, Love, Courage &Faith,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment