Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Great Flu Shot Debate

So Trace had a visit with his immunologist/allergist yesterday and I already knew the question was coming - "Has Trace had his flu shot?"  I respond "No, not yet" and get quite a look from Dr. P.  I know this is something Trace needs, but it's just not that easy for him.  To catch you up on his immunization history, if you don't already know, Trace has major issues every time he gets a vaccine.  Two days after receiving his one year immunizations along with the flu shot, he landed in the ER with high fever and seizures.  That brought us into the world we live in today.  Trace has always had fever and seizures after receiving vaccines - some worse than others.  The flu shot is #2 worst on the list.  His flu shot last year landed him in the ER the next day.  Pneumovax is #1 - within two hours of receiving pneumovax, he spiked a high fever, had the most seizures ever and was in the ER again.

So back to yesterday and the great debate.  Dr. P and I discussed the following 3 issues: 
1.  Trace's history of reactions to vaccines is very bad to say the least, and how the flu shot has always landed him  in the ER with high fever and seizures. 
2.  Trace's seizure control is at an all time best. 
3.  Trace has some sort of infection right now.  Dr. P. believes it could be due to the eye infection from chalazions, or whatever has been causing the last 6 days of super-human diaherra.  My mystery man! 
After all this, Dr. P and I decided it would be best not to vaccinate Trace yesterday.  So the debate ended and we went home with a script of Tamiflu in case he spikes a fever and instructions to call his neurologist to discuss a plan to get the flu shot or not.

I know Trace needs the flu shot because the flu could be detrimental for him, but I hate to see him in a situation where he could regress.  He's worked very hard to get where he is today.  Talk about being pulled in two different directions.  We'll see what his neuro says and go from there. 

In other news, I'm happy to report Trace has been sleeping much better again.  He's only waking a few times a night now, which is normal for him.  Thank goodness!!  He was up and ready for breakfast at 4:30 this morning, but that's ok because I was able to sleep till 4:30 and then snuggle him till 6:00.  He's the best snuggle bunny in the world.  He wraps his arms around my neck and literally gets nose to nose with me.  I love those moments, even if they are at 4:30 AM!  

We celebrated Thanksgiving this year with family at the lake house.  The weather was georgeous and Trace was able to play outside.  We played bean bags, watched football and ate way too much food for 5 whole days!  It was so nice to spend that time with my kiddos and family.  We even did a little shopping, but not on Black Friday, I can't handle those kinds of crowds.  I actually found Trace 4 pairs of pants for his skinny butt.  It's a nearly impossible feat to find him pants.  His waist is the size of an 18 month old and he's 39" tall - not exactly a good combination.  We were able to find some with an adjustable waist - Yeah!!  He was so cute modeling his new clothes and wanted everyone in the store to see him, he even set off the sensors at the door - it was too funny.  Wish I would've thought to take a couple of pictures but I was too busy laughing.  

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!  Now time for Christmas - my absolute favorite holiday!  I'll leave you with our Christmas card picture from last year.  Please keep all of our mito babies in your prayers this holiday season!! 
  

Hope, Love, Courage &Faith,
Laurie

1 comment:

  1. You definitely have to listen to your heart when it comes to the treatment of your child!! I'm have a Ph.D. in immunology so I know the science behind immunizations but as a parent I also know what a huge trigger they can be for seizures in some kids. Reagan started having seizures at 5 months old and we stopped all immunizations at that time on recommendation of her neurologist. She had nonstop seizures for 2.5 yrs until we finally found a medication to control them (talk about an answer to prayers). At this point I'm not willing to risk losing seizure control for any vaccine and Dr P has been very understanding about letting us do what we're comfortable with!
    (love those pics from last year)

    ReplyDelete